Who Can Live With You on Section 8? Exploring Eligibility

Discovering the answer to the question ‘Who Can Live With You on Section 8?’ can be enlightening. You can add a person to your Section 8 voucher who has a close connection to you through one of these relationships (or any relationship with the same level of commitment).

Who Can Live With You on Section 8

Who Can Live With You on Section 8?

You’ve been approved for the Section 8 housing program, but now you’re wondering who will be allowed to move in with you.

In general, anyone considered a member of your household is eligible to live with you in your Section 8 home, and any person who will share living expenses with you can be included as part of your household. In some cases, certain people may be eligible to live with you even if they are not included in your household for example, if they are elderly or disabled.

Also, keep in mind that the same rules apply to family members regardless of whether they are related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption. Such as:

  1. A spouse
  2. A domestic partner
  3. A parent/step-parent (including foster parents)
  4. A child/step-child (including foster children)
  5. An adult child with a disability
  6. A grandchild
  7. An eligible elderly relative (62+ years old, or if disabled, any age)
  8. A sibling/stepsibling
  9. An uncle/aunt/nephew/niece (if you share the same home)

If any family members who are minors (under age 18) will be living with you, it’s important to check with your public housing agency (PHA) to see if they can live with you without being counted in the calculation of your rent.

Whether or not they are included in your rental calculation, all of your household members should be listed on your lease agreement.

Guest Living With You on Section 8?

You are allowed to have a guest living with you for up to 14 days each year without having to report it to your housing authority. Guests who stay longer than 14 days must be reported and approved by the housing authority.

The only exception is children born while living in the residence. If a new baby is born while a family lives in a Section 8 residence, that child’s presence do not have to be reported and approved.

Can My Family Live With Me?

Your family can live with you on Section 8 if they are related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The head of household must live in the unit, but other family members can use it as their primary residence even if they do not live there.

The family member does not have to be listed on the lease. If the head of household does not want to add a family member to the lease, he or she can provide documentation that the person lives with them.

How to add them to my Section 8 Voucher

First, get in touch with the housing authority that manages your voucher. They’ll want you to give them some documents explaining your situation. Here’s a list of what they might ask you for:

  • Marriage certificate (if you’re married)
  • Birth certificate (if you’re adding a child)
  • Landlord’s statement (if you’re moving in with a landlord or family member)
  • Divorce or separation papers (if you’re divorced or separated)

Does It Matter Who Lives With Me?

Yes. It matters who lives in your home. The people who live with you are part of your household and their income is used to determine your eligibility for benefits. You can choose any adult to live with you (parent, relative, friend, etc.) as long as that person does not already receive benefits for his/her own household.

It does not matter if the person owns or rents the home or if he/she is related to anyone else in the household. Who should I include?

  1. Include any adult who will be living with you most of the time and plans to pay rent or share expenses.
  2. Include any children who will be living with you most of the time and for whom you expect to claim as a dependent on your taxes or for whom you receive child support from a parent who does not live there.
  3. Include anyone else (child or adult) who would be considered a member of your family by someone looking at your situation in a reasonable way. In other words, if the manager of your apartment project thinks they are part of your family, they are part of your family.

More information on who can live with you under Section 8 regulations.

Who Should I Not Include?

  • Do not include any child who will not be living with you when you move into the apartment project.
  • Do not include anyone who is temporarily staying with you while they look for another place to live.
  • Do not include anyone who will only be visiting you for a few days.


In conclusion, understanding the eligibility criteria for “Who Can Live With You on Section 8?” is crucial for navigating the Section 8 housing program. The relationships and connections that allow individuals to be included in your Section 8 voucher are diverse, ranging from spouses and domestic partners to grandparents and eligible elderly relatives.

Remember that the rules apply regardless of blood ties, marriage, or adoption. By comprehending these guidelines, you can make informed decisions about who can share your Section 8 home and ensure a smoother housing experience.


What if Someone Lives With Me for Just a Few Months?

If someone lives with you for just a few months, you can still add them to your Section 8 voucher.

Is it possible to include a grandchild in my Section 8 household?

Yes, you can add a grandchild to your Section 8 voucher if there is a close relationship.

Can adult children with disabilities live with me on Section 8?

Yes, adult children with disabilities can be included in your Section 8 household.

Can I share my Section 8 home with a domestic partner?

Yes, domestic partners can be added to your Section 8 voucher.

What’s the eligibility for including elderly relatives

Eligible elderly relatives, aged 62 or older (or any age if disabled), can live with you on Section 8.

Are foster children eligible to live with me on Section 8?

Yes, foster children, both regular and step, can be included in your Section 8 household.

Can I add someone to my Section 8 voucher without listing them on the lease?

Yes, family members not listed on the lease can still be included if they live with you.

Similar Posts


  1. ralph pfleger says:

    i am wonding if anyone can live on section 8

    there one people not on section 8 in the apartment that is not on it .

    can he live there . the people that are on section 8 told him to stay be he wanted to leave every time he says he want to leave .. they keep on telling him to stay .

    i know there names that is on section 8 and the one that is not on section eight .

    the man is living there 6 1/2 years without calling section 8 . to let them know

    i justing asking you . if you do fine out i do not want to know .

    just to see if they should live there .

    there is three on section 8 one of them move out and they are over 21 years old

    if you want there names let me know

  2. Betty Easter says:

    If you are a disabled senior citizen with no income but have a bank account, how does that work?

  3. Can you live in a person’s household who does not have Section 8, but still receive Section 8 help for yourself?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *