Who Can Live With You on Section 8?

You can add a person to your Section 8 voucher who has a close connection to you through one of these relationships (or any relationship with the same level of commitment):

Who Can Live With You on Section 8
  • A spouse
  • A domestic partner
  • A parent/step-parent (including foster parents)
  • A child/step-child (including foster children)
  • An adult child with a disability
  • A grandchild
  • An eligible elderly relative (62+ years old, or if disabled, any age)
  • A sibling/stepsibling
  • An uncle/aunt/nephew/niece (if you share the same home)

You’ve been approved for the Section 8 housing program, but now you’re wondering who will be allowed to move in with you.

In general, anyone considered a member of your household is eligible to live with you in your Section 8 home, and any person who will share living expenses with you can be included as part of your household. In some cases, certain people may be eligible to live with you even if they are not included in your household for example, if they are elderly or disabled. Also, keep in mind that the same rules apply to family members regardless of whether they are related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption.

If any family members who are minors (under age 18) will be living with you, it’s important to check with your public housing agency (PHA) to see if they can live with you without being counted in the calculation of your rent.

Whether or not they are included in your rental calculation, all of your household members should be listed on your lease agreement.

Guest Living With You on Section 8?

You are allowed to have a guest living with you for up to 14 days each year without having to report it to your housing authority. Guests who stay longer than 14 days must be reported and approved by the housing authority. The only exception is children born while living in the residence. If a new baby is born while a family lives in a Section 8 residence, that child’s presence do not have to be reported and approved.

Can My Family Live With Me?

Your family can live with you on Section 8 if they are related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The head of household must live in the unit, but other family members can use it as their primary residence even if they do not live there.

The family member does not have to be listed on the lease. If the head of household does not want to add a family member to the lease, he or she can provide documentation that the person lives with them.

Does It Matter Who Lives With Me?

Yes. It matters who lives in your home. The people who live with you are part of your household and their income is used to determine your eligibility for benefits. You can choose any adult to live with you (parent, relative, friend, etc.) as long as that person does not already receive benefits for his/her own household. It does not matter if the person owns or rents the home or if he/she is related to anyone else in the household. Who should I include?

  1. Include any adult who will be living with you most of the time and plans to pay rent or share expenses.
  2. Include any children who will be living with you most of the time and for whom you expect to claim as a dependent on your taxes or for whom you receive child support from a parent who does not live there.
  3. Include anyone else (child or adult) who would be considered a member of your family by someone looking at your situation in a reasonable way. In other words, if the manager of your apartment project thinks they are part of your family, they are part of your family.

Who Should I Not Include?

  • Do not include any child who will not be living with you when you move into the apartment project.
  • Do not include anyone who is temporarily staying with you while they look for another place to live.
  • Do not include anyone who will only be visiting you for a few days.

What if Someone Lives With Me for Just a Few Months?

If someone lives with you for just a few months, you can still add them to your Section 8 voucher.

First, get in touch with the housing authority that manages your voucher. They’ll want you to give them some documents explaining your situation. Here’s a list of what they might ask you for:

* Marriage certificate (if you’re married)

* Birth certificate (if you’re adding a child)

* Landlord’s statement (if you’re moving in with a landlord or family member)

* Divorce or separation papers (if you’re divorced or separated)

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *